1. Health
You can opt-out at any time. Please refer to our privacy policy for contact information.

What should I do if I think my child might have a food allergy?


Updated July 01, 2009

Question: What should I do if I think my child might have a food allergy?
Answer: Call your doctor as soon as possible for an appointment. This is doubly true if your child has ever had swelling around the mouth or lips after eating, because this could indicate a tendency towards anaphylaxis. Your doctor will likely refer you to an allergist for testing if there is doubt regarding what your child is allergic to, and if your child's symptoms indicate that he might be prone to a dangerous reaction in the future, she will prescribe medication that can be lifesaving in the event of an emergency.

One thing you should not do is to try an elimination diet without discussing it with your doctor first. Elimination diets can be useful tools, especially if allergy testing is inconclusive or if a food intolerance is suspected, but they should be undertaken under the supervision of a doctor.

  1. About.com
  2. Health
  3. Food Allergies
  4. Food Allergy Basics
  5. Child Food Allergy - What to Do for Possible Child Food Allergy

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.

We comply with the HONcode standard
for trustworthy health
information: verify here.