Updated May 14, 2009
Food Allergy Physiology
- What is an allergy, anyway?
- What symptoms might indicate a food allergy?
- I've had some symptoms I think may be related to food allergies. When do I need to call the doctor?
- What are the most common food allergies?
- What's the difference between a food allergy and a food intolerance?
- I was recently diagnosed with celiac disease. Is this an allergy?
- What is the hygiene hypothesis?
- What are some risk factors for food allergies?
- Some people say there's better testing for allergies, others say something in the environment is making kids more susceptible to allergies. Are food allergies really becoming more common?
Treating Food Allergies
- Are allergy shots an effective treatment for food allergies?
- Do probiotics work for food allergy prevention?
- What is food allergy immunotherapy? Will it be available at my allergist's office soon?
Food Allergies and Children
- What should I do if I think my child might have a food allergy?
- How can I get around my child's allergy when cooking at home?
- My child's school or classroom was recently declared nut-free. Why is this necessary?
- Is it possible for my child to outgrow a food allergy?
- My family has a history of food allergies. How should I feed my new baby?
- Are premature babies at higher risk of developing food allergies?
Specific Food Allergies
- Can I take Communion if I have a wheat allergy or celiac disease?
- Can people with tree nut allergies eat pumpkin, sesame, or sunflower seeds?
- I have an egg allergy. Can I get a flu shot, MMR vaccine, or other inoculations?
- Do I need to avoid legumes like soy and peas, if I have a peanut allergy?
- I once had a severe reaction to shrimp. Do I need to avoid all other shellfish?
- Is there such a thing as a chocolate allergy? I've heard they don't really exist.
- I'm sensitive to milk chocolate. Can I eat white chocolate as a substitute?
- My nose always runs when I drink alcohol or eat spicy foods. Is this an allergy?
Living with Food Allergies
- My food allergies are a major source of stress. Is this normal? What can I do to cope?
- Do "may contain allergen" labels really matter?
- I was just diagnosed with many food allergies. How can I cope?
- Our company dinner is at a restaurant I can't eat at. Can I bring my own food?
- I had an allergic reaction to a mislabeled food. How can I report it?