Enjoy an allergen-free Hannukah this year with several days worth of delicious holiday dishes from around the About.com network. This menu includes several main dish options plus versions of traditional Hannukah dishes like latkes and sufganiyot. Looking for wheat- and gluten-free eats? Be sure to check out Nancy Lapid's collection of Gluten-Free Hannukah Recipes on About.com's Celiac Disease site.
Main dishes that are seasonal, simple, and festive may include roast chicken, brisket, or (if you're not cooking for a fish allergy) salmon. Vegetarian? Consider a kugel, or make latkes (below) the centerpiece of a meal.
- Easy Allergy-Safe Roast Chicken (safe for all "big eight" food allergies plus corn, sesame, sulfites, and most other common allergies.)
- About.com Kosher Food: Brisket in Wine Sauce (can be made safe for all big eight allergies plus corn and sesame, depending on which brand of ketchup you use.)
- About.com Busy Cooks: Grilled Dilled Salmon (safe for all big eight allergies except fish.)
- About.com Vegetarian Cooking: Egg-Free Potato and Carrot Kugel (dairy-free, egg-free, fish-free, shellfish-free, nut-free, peanut-free)
- About.com Vegetarian Cooking: Vegan Sweet Potato Kugel (safe for all big eight allergies except wheat).
While traditional latke recipes do include several common allergens, the good news is that potatoes are a forgiving ingredient. Check out these creative alternatives if you have a wheat, egg, dairy, or allium (onion or garlic) allergy.
- Allergy-Safe Latkes (safe for all big eight allergies; optionally onion-free.)
- About.com Vegetarian Cooking: Vegan Latkes with Fresh Herbs (safe for all big eight allergies except wheat.)
- About.com Low-Carb Cooking: Low-Carb Latkes (safe for all big eight allergies except eggs.)
Two variations of these traditional Israeli doughnuts will help you enjoy the festivities with a wheat allergy or an egg allergy.
- About.com Vegetarian Cooking: Vegan Chanukah Doughnuts (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, fish-free, shellfish-free)
- About.com Low-Carb Cooking: Low-Carb Doughnuts (soy-free, wheat- and gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, fish-free, shellfish-free)
Pair your latkes with homemade applesauce: simple to make and, if apples aren't a problem, an easy food to make allergy-friendly.