Cooking without wheat or gluten involves learning to use new grains and flour mixes. This collection of wheat-free, gluten-free recipes from About.com includes dishes that use quinoa, millet, rice, and corn instead of wheat.
- Hot Millet Breakfast Cereal: Coconut, apricot, and millet cereal makes a warming breakfast and a good introduction to this flavorful wheat-free grain.
- Gluten-Free Blueberry Pancakes: Teri Grus’s recipe for the breakfast classic.
- Dairy-Free, Wheat-Free “Cheesy” Grits: Nutritional yeast and tobasco sauce liven this traditional Southern favorite.
- Allergy-Friendly Southern Breakfast Sausage: Making your own breakfast sausage is as simple as stirring some spices into ground turkey or pork.
- Allergy-Friendly Latkes (Potato Pancakes): These latkes are free of dairy, eggs, and wheat, but still have the crisp outside and custardy inside of traditional potato pancakes.
- Armenian Lamb Stew: This traditional recipe is free of wheat, eggs, dairy, soy, and nuts.
- Allergy-Friendly Greek Lemon Chicken: An easy-to-assemble slow cooker recipe free of the big 8 allergens.
- Wheat-Free, Gluten-Free Zucchini-Feta Crepes: Greek-inspired savory pancakes with no wheat.
- Tacos with Allergen-Free Seasoning: Adapt this taco seasoning to work with your favorite filling and to meet all your allergy needs.
- Polenta Torte: Who needs pizza? Cornmeal crust, roasted vegetables, and cheesy toppings make this a great substitute for an allergic pizza lover.
- Gluten-Free, Egg-Free Fettuccini Alfredo: Comfort food without eggs or wheat.
- Wheat-Free Fried Chicken: This recipe is wheat-free but also either egg-free or dairy-free, as it works well with either buttermilk or beaten eggs in the dredge.
- Wheat-Free, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Tempura Batter: Rice flour-based recipe for Japanese tempura batter. Includes frying instructions.
- Allergy-Friendly Green Bean Casserole: A lighter version of the family favorite, free of big 8 allergens.
- Millet-Herb Stuffing: An alternate stuffing for the Lamb with Feta-Mint Pesto (above), or serve it on its own.
- Mushroom-Sage Risotto: Hearty Northern Italian rice dish that's filling enough to serve as a vegetarian main dish.
- Quinoa Salad with Raspberry Vinaigrette: Easy, delicious way to use a healthful gluten-free "supergrain."
- All-Purpose Allergy-Safe Vegetable Broth: A cooking staple that can be adapted to meet most allergy needs.
Just for Fun